Sunday 31 August 2014

The Sunday Post - August Wrap-Up


The Sunday Post at Journey Through Fiction blog

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news, recap what has happened on the blog, what is upcoming and anything everything in between. Stacking The Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This week I'm linking my recap post to both memes.



Looking Back at August


Hi guys! I hope everyone had an amazing August. With all the upcoming releases in September, I think most of our reading lists are overflowing at this stage!

I have no idea what has happened to the weather this month. One day, it feels like we’re still in the summer, and the next I’m frozen and looking for a dozen layers to wear! Supposedly, there is an Indian summer forecast for September… but I’ll believe it when I see it. Every day after the news they cover all the bases, and every weather type imaginable for the time of year will be forecast, so they’ll always be right no matter what happens!

It’s no secret that I love my football and with the Premier League kicking off for another year, I’ve been super happy. I’ve gotten into the habit of trying to draft up a couple of posts on Saturday’s and with the league back, there goes my attention span! I end up keeping one eye on the TV to see what’s happening, instead of concentrating on what I’m writing. Oh, and let’s not forget the Champions League draw on Thursday. My grin might have resembled a Cheshire cat when I saw who was drawn against my team in Group G…



On the Blog this past week


Review: Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
10 Books I Really Want To Read, But Don’t Own… Yet!
WoW: Into the Fire by Ashlyn Drake
Review: Dust to Dust by Karina Halle
Countdown Survey
September is for Sequels Challenge



For Review


I went a little mad on NetGalley over the past couple of weeks. I've been staying as far away as possible for the past month or so, and then all those shiny books and their request links seemed all too appealing! I can't wait to read all of these over the next couple of months.



With thanks to Last Syllable Books, Forever (Grand Central Publishing), Clean Teen Publishing and Random House Children’s Publishers.



What I read in August


Looking at my ratings this month, it seems like I only had three gears: New favourite; Good; or Meh. Dust to Dust and Resistance were my clear favourites, with Throne of Glass coming a close second. I’m almost finished with Shadow and Bone, and I haven’t made up my mind if I like or love it yet. I think the ending will determine how I feel in honesty.

I’ve been lucky with my reading choices over the summer. I did have disappointments, but for the most part, I’ve loved the books I read. That is until Resistance came along. It was the first book I picked to read in August, and it has completely overshadowed everything else I’ve read this year, leaving me with such a terrible book hangover. I can’t move past it! I keep thinking about the characters and the ending, and that I have to wait a year to find out what happens.

Unfortunately, this left me in a bit of a meh book groove for the rest of the month. Even now, I’m still basking in Resistance awesomeness, and only Dust to Dust and Throne of Glass has managed to come anywhere near the same level of love I felt when I read Resistance. My expectations were quite high for Rock Addiction and through the roof for Opposition, but unfortunately both of them ended up disappointing for different reasons. I don’t think it’s possible to have an entire month of awesome reads, but I still keep hoping!



Posts I loved


Cait @ Notebook Sisters chats about the nasty side effects of reading a good book – book hangovers. I’m all too familiar with this feeling right now!

Debby @ Snuggly Oranges chats about cliffhangers: both the good ones and the bad. In general, I hate cliffhanger endings, but there are a few exceptions where they fit in with the storyline and it works!

Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner tells about some of her experiences with non-readers growing up. - I Got The Message Loud & Clear: Reading Isn’t Cool

Ashley @ Nose Graze has two discussions I loved this week. One is about the fear of re-reading old favourites, and not enjoying them the second time around, and she tackles one of the big topics the majority of us have a big issue with: Why Does Insta-Love Still Exist in Books?



Soundtrack for the Week


Here’s Where The Story Ends – The Sundays




Hope you have an awesome September, Happy Reading!



26 comments:

  1. Summer has been such a fickle season this year. I haven't missed all the humidity and multiple 90+ degree days we normally get. Whatever the weather, summer always flies by too fast. Ah, well, enjoy your new books and football games.

    My Sunday/Monday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/08/weekly-book-recap-80.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek! 90 degree weather is way too warm for me! Our summer over here in Ireland wasn't quite that warm, but we had lots of sunshine which is a nice change from the usual rain ;) Have a great week Catherine!

      Delete
  2. Our summer here seem to go by so fast, and it was pretty mild temperature wise. Makes me kinda worried about what they say, a mild summer means harsh winter. Enjoy the new books. I just finished Melt, and Upside Down was really good.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem a bit ominous, doesn't it. Last winter was very cold here, but we didn't have snow, just a few showers on and off. The west coast got a battering though, with storms and high tides. With all the nice weather, it makes you wonder what we'll be in for this year :/

      Glad you enjoyed Upside Down! Can't wait to start them myself. Have a great week Jenea!

      Delete
  3. Summer here has not been fickle...just HOT! Although some weeks showing a "cooling trend down to the 90s," which is a laugh-out-loud moment for those watching the weather man say this with a straight face. And yes, the 90s are cooler...but definitely still HOT.

    I can't wait for fall.

    Enjoy your books....I'm curious about Melt...perhaps because of the aforementioned hot weather.

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of glad we don't get 90 degree weather over here! I was in the States one summer, in New Orleans, and I swear I could hardly breathe, let alone walk! We're definitely not used to very hot temperatures over here in Ireland, teehee :D

      Have a great week Laurel!

      Delete
  4. My son is a football fan so it is on our screens a lot! I too am waiting for this predicted Indian summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was so skeptical when I heard it mentioned, I'll believe it when I'm basking in the sun! Have a great week Jane :)

      Delete
  5. Indian Summer would be good for September.This summer has been weird indeed..but I haven't uttered one complaint since I made a deal with Mother Nature that as long as Sept. 27th is sunny and beautiful she can do whatever the hell she wants for the other 364 days..LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I really hope the wedding goes off without a hitch, complete with perfect, sunny weather. Hopefully the Indian Summer is true! Have a great week Kimba :)

      Delete
  6. Oohh nice new reads! Those are new to me ones as well! Hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice haul. I got Upside Down too, but don't even recall requesting it. Good luck with the football!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy! Hope we both like Upside Down, have a great week :)

      Delete
  8. I had high hopes for Rock Addiction too... hopefully things will improve in the next book. Surprised you were a little disappointed in Opposition.

    Thanx for visiting My Weekly Wrap-Up!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My expectations were way too high for Opposition, and I was gutted I wasn't blown away by it. Can't like them all I guess :( Have a great week Naomi!

      Delete
  9. Football time, hope your team does well. I think The Iron Trial looks good. And the Countdown Survey was a fun post- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! I loved doing the Countdown Survey! I'd seen it around a few blogs, and decided to join in. It was such a nice change of pace from the normal posts each week, and so much fun to put together. Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. I've had my eye on Upside Down as well... I'm eager to see what you think of it. I hope you enjoy all of your new reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I hope I love Upside Down, it seems like it'll be a really good book *fingers crossed* Have a great week!

      Delete
  11. I can't believe August is almost over! And totally agree, with September, my TBR list is a bit overflowing, haha. Doesn't help that school is starting too :p
    Awesome haul! Hope you enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to avoid thinking about the number of books I really should read in September! I'll end up trying to find excuses to avoid reading them all. Thanks Cyn, and have a great week :D

      Delete
  12. Just last week I put up my post for Opposition, It is so amazing :). Also Queen of Someday is pretty good to, It definitely peaked my interest, I posted that review a few days ago! Happy Reading!
    Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Opposition! Unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to what I was hoping for. I really hope I love Queen of Someday, it seems so good :) Have a great week Kat!

      Delete
  13. Great new reads! NetGalley always gets me in serious trouble. I keep saying I'm going to take a break but then I can't resist seeing what they have! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like the kid in a candy store when I first logged into NetGalley! It's so addicting, (and tempting!) Have a great week Katherine :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...