Tuesday 12 August 2014

Ten Books I’m Not Sure I Want To Read



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme run by The Broke and the Bookish.


We all have the same problem: a huge TBR list that’s not getting any smaller. I love the topic this week, and I could have listed a lot more than ten books. Every other day I’m adding a new book to my never shrinking lists, so it’s time I weed through my existing TBR and have a good clear out.

The ten books I’ve chosen are up for the chop, and some might come as a surprise. I’ve chosen them for a variety of different reasons. Some I’m losing interest in, some I’ve seen mixed reviews for, and some seem a bit too similar to books I’ve already read.

I’m also looking for a little advice: If you loved any of the books on my list, please try to convince me to give them a second chance. And likewise, if you didn’t like them, tell me why and reassure me I’m doing the right thing in dropping the book.


*Clicking on the authors name will open each books GoodReads page.*


 Thirteen Reasons Why   book cover


Thirteen Reasons Why

by Jay Asher

I’ve seen both glowing and critical reviews over Thirteen Reasons Why. If my reaction matches the negatives, I know I’ll think it was a waste of time. But… what if I love it?


The Forest of Hands and Teeth book cover


The Forest of Hands and Teeth

by Carrie Ryan

I haven’t read this blurb in a year or so, and it sounds like a mix of Delirium by Lauren Oliver - which I didn’t like - and Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers - which I loved. And now, I’m confused! Will I love or hate it…


The Ward book cover


The Ward

by Jordana Frankel

Just another Dystopian, or better? I’m not as convinced by the blurb as I was when I added it to my TBR list.


Another Little Piece book cover


Another Little Piece

by Kate Karyus Quinn

I’ve seen lot of praise for (Don’t You) Forget About Me. I haven’t read either books, but this one I’m thinking might be a bit too similar to Don’t Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I have this terrible habit of unintentionally picking overly similar books, and reading them quite close together. I’m trying to break this habit! It’s not a good one.


 Furious book cover


Furious

by Jill Wolfson

I love mythology. But, I’ve seen either 5 star reviews or DNF’s… Not very reassuring!


Article 5 book cover


Article 5

by Kristen Simmons

Article 5 is my book-of-low-ratings-from-reviewers-I-trust book. I’ll need lots of convincing not to chop this from my TBR ASAP in honesty.


The Edge of Never book cover


The Edge of Never

by J.A. Redmerski

I added The Edge of Never, and countless other NA books, right after I finished Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and I was on a good book high. Then I read Easy by Tammara Webber, and my opinions changed. Drastically! Easy was so much better. Now I’m wondering will it be worth using my reading time on a book I’m unsure of…


On Dublin Street book cover


On Dublin Street

by Samantha Young

It’s pretty much the same story as The Edge of Never above. I’ve seen so much praise for On Dublin Street, but I’m not sure if my expectations will match the hype.


The Summer I Became a Nerd book cover


The Summer I Became a Nerd

by Leah Rae Miller

This sounds like a fun read, but I’m unsure if I’m buying it anymore. I’ve seen lots of “it’s good, but…” surrounding The Summer I Became a Nerd.


Pretty Girl-13 book cover


Pretty Girl-13

by Liz Coley

The main fault I’ve seen? It’s predictable. I’m not sure I’m up for another predictable plot!




Any books on my list that you think I’m insane to abandon? Or are you providing a trash can so I can get rid of the book quicker? Or both?! Let me know in the comments, and feel free to leave a link to your TTT if you have one.



20 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these to give you an opinion, but if it's any consolation you've just convinced me to read Easy! I was one of the few who really liked Beautiful Disaster, and now the NA genre, so Easy's just been bumped up!

    My TTT: http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-give-me-indecisive-syndrome/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! Ooh I hope you love Easy. Beautiful Disaster was the first NA book I read, and I really loved it when I was reading it, but Easy managed to push BD down the list. I really hope you love it, too!

      Delete
  2. 13 reasons made my list too. when i bought another little piece, i really had no idea what type of book it was going to be. it's not my usual taste, but i really did enjoy it.
    already following on bloglovin'.
    http://she-read.blogspot.com/2014/08/ttt-to-read-or-not-to-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so torn! I don't know if I'll like Another Little Piece. I might leave it on the TBR list for a bit longer. Maybe I'll like it in a few months! Thanks for stopping by Vi.

      Delete
  3. Oh I've seen some of these and thought they looked really good! But I know what you mean about 5 Star reviews vs DNFs. So confusing!

    http://chasedbymyimagination.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/top-ten-tuesday-my-picks-for-books-im.html > Check out my TTT!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so hard to judge! Odds are I'll fall into one or other bracket, and the 5 star side is definitely preferable!

      Delete
  4. I forgot about 13 Reasons Why. I have it on my shelf but something keeps stopping me from picking it up. I haven't read a lot of negative reviews of it but I really haven't looked either. I am starting to think I might just check out the movie instead. Which I almost never do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might end up skipping 13 Reasons. And I feel the same, I don't know what it is that's putting me off necessarily, but I sort of avoid it unconsciously. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these books so I can't say if they are any good or not. Good luck finding out.
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, the only one I've read is The Forest and Teeth and Hands and I ended up being a bit disappointed in it. I was expecting so much more from it. And yeah, I was left pretty upset with it all.

    So my opinion may not have done much good in deciding to read it or not!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm leaning more on giving it a miss actually, at least for the near future. I might change my mind in a year or so, we'll see! Thanks for dropping by Jessica :)

      Delete
  7. A lot of these are on my TBR, aside from Thirteen Reasons Why, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Thirteen Reasons Why was pretty good but I didn't care for TFOHAT. It's funny how many of these books I've had on my TBR for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many books clogging up my TBR that I have a pretty good idea I won't read, it's crazy! I think I'll have to get the cold-and-heartless approach going one day, and drop them. Thanks for stopping by Jazmen!

      Delete
  8. OMG Alma....I read The Forrest of Hands and Teeth and felt like WTF? the entire time. It was just odd to me and after all these years I think I have come to realize I don't like zombie stuff. You are fantastic Alma! Good luck deciding on your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Kristalyn! Zombie books can be sooo hit or miss for me. They have to be done really well for me to like them, not just all about the body part munching and the killing. I have this feeling I'll hate The Forest of Hands and Feet. I think I'll be giving it a miss in honesty. Thanks for stopping by, have a great week! :D x

      Delete
  9. I wasn't that impressed with The Forest of Hands and Teeth.I didn't continue after a few pages,so I can't tell much about it,though.
    You should go for The Edge Of Never.It's one of the best NA books I've ever read.I am sure you'd love it.
    I have the same problem with Furious too.I love Greek Mythology,so I've wanted to read it so badly,but I am afraid that I'll be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh glad to hear you liked The Edge of Never. I'm still on the fence if I'm honest, but I might get around to reading it at some stage. Thanks for stopping by Mishma!

      Delete
  10. I've read The Edge of Never and On Dublin Street and I quite liked them both. I'm a fan whole On Dublin Streets series - some books are better, other are not so good, but overall, it's a nice contemporary romance series and it's pretty steamy :) It's rather adult than New Adult, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts Ellie! I think I'll keep both on my list, I'm always afraid of skipping over books and then wondering "what if I would have loved it?" Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...