Saturday 20 September 2014

The Sunday Post -- September 1 - 20


The Sunday Post at Journey Through Fiction blog

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news, recap what has happened on the blog, what is upcoming and anything everything in between.


Re-Cap: September 1 - 20


No Book Buying In September


Back in the middle of August, I was looking at all the books I have in the house to read and I made one of those silly little resolutions that I thought would be really easy to keep - I wouldn’t spend any money on books in September. For thirty days, my wallet will get a breather where books are concerned.

I don’t really like the term “book buying ban” – that will definitely get the opposite reaction from me, and I’d end up getting ALL the books… A book buying hiatus sound a little better to me!

Well - this has been the hardest promise I have ever made! And it’s not even a promise I made to someone else – just to me!


These are the culprits.


Since I made the promise, they have been haunting me, or more specifically, their sequels have. I loved both Throne of Glass and Splintered, and I’ve been so tempted to buy Crown of Midnight and Unhinged. I’m not usually this bad after I finish a book I love. I like giving a few weeks, or maybe a month, between books in the same series anyway, so it’s a little frustrating that I can’t let them go!


And on a completely random, weather related topic –


In my last Sunday Post, I mentioned that an Indian summer was forecast… it actually sort of happened! We’ve had beautiful weather the past couple of weeks. Ok, so maybe I should be a little more trusting in the forecasts in the future. Maybe. We’ll see…


Some Posts on the Blog Recently


Discussions and Memes

Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Blogging
The Reading List That Never Shrinks
Ten Authors I’ve Only Read One Book From, But NEED To Read More
WoW – Very Bad Things by Susan McBride


Tags and Challenges

The To Be Read Tag
Ten Book Challenge Tag
September is for Sequels Challenge


Most Viewed Book Reviews

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Review: Splintered by A.G. Howard
Review: Rock Addiction by Nalini Singh
Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


Posts I loved


Trish @ Between My Lives chatted about How Book Reviewing is like the X Factor a couple of weeks ago, and it’s so true! LOL, how funny would it be to see Simon Cowell reviewing books…

I love Debby @ Snuggly Oranges Bookworm Problems posts and she chatted about Being A Book Buying Addict recently. (I can relate… STRONGLY!) She also asks whether it’s Okay To Change Your Ratings Over Time? My feelings do, and have changed about certain books, and I often look back and think X, Y, and Z books don’t deserve that rating… they’re better/worse than that!

The Steadfast Reader talked about The Necessary Evil of the Negative Review. I might seem a bit weird, but if I’m unsure I’ll like a book, I tend to glance at negative reviews first. When they are done well, I find they can give a clearer idea on what a book is really about, and whether it will suit my tastes.

I love haunting the Notebook Sisters blog, and Cait shared 28 Reasons Why Being a Bookworm Actually Sucks, (I nodded along, laughed, and agreed with all 28 points!) and their latest Honest YA Covers post. Seriously, if you haven’t been to their blog, visit!

Vicky @ Books, Biscuits and Tea created an awesome post for book bloggers, with 100+ Links to Everything You Need to Know about book blogging. Definitely bookmark and share this one!

Kimberly @ Caffinated Book Reviewer chatted about Giveaways, and shared some awesome idea, tips and tricks for creating and hosting successful giveaways. Definitely another one to bookmark!


So... This Is Where I Say Goodbye


Temporarily! I haven’t taken a complete break from blogging since I began at the end of February. The longest I’ve gone without writing a post or checking on things in some capacity was two consecutive days – so I kind of need a little break at this stage!

I have some posts and reviews scheduled this week, but I won’t be here from tomorrow. (Monday 22 – 29 September.) It’ll be incredibly weird staying away from the blog, but I feel I need to recharge my blogging batteries, have a break, go a few places and try to focus on other things for a bit.

So, until next Monday my lovely friends, slán go fóill and have a great week!


Soundtrack for the Week


Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz




8 comments:

  1. I love Fly Away it's one of my favourite tunes. Have a good break and I hope you return refreshed. I'm not so organised to get my post done the night before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh me too! I love Fly Away :D Thanks Jane!

      Delete
  2. Awww I hope you come back soon! And also, those books definitely needed to be bought, so it's okay your wallet will forgive you! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! As of tying this, it's less than an hour until October 1st... and I shall be free to shop :D The Book Depository and Amazon won't know what hit them, teehee!

      Delete
  3. I can't see myself ever going on a book buying ban. I understand why people do, but I would just have to buy double the next week/month to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I feel exactly like that right now! I feel a book shopping spree coming on (it's probably not a good thing that I'm super excited about this...) This was the first time I ever told myself I wouldn't buy any books, and I will admit, I will never do it again! It's definitely not for me!!

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever gone on book buying ban or hiatus. I'm just not programmed that way! I find myself still wanting to support my fave authors by buying their books during release week, even though it's going to be a while until I get to reading them. It's a bad habit. Plus there's the buying the books because I want to read them and yet I still haven't gotten around to reading that stack!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of think I'm programmed that way too! I'm just not cut out to restrict my moods like that, and I'm glad it was only 30 days - any longer and I'd have caved in! I'm glad I tried it, but never again, teehee :D

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...