Friday 31 October 2014

Happy Halloween!



Happy Halloween! I love this time of year and I thought I’d do something a bit different today since the veil is supposed to be thinner between our world and the next. To get in the spirit of all things ghoulish, devilish, and otherworldly, I’m going to share some of my favourite spooky and scary bookish things! And there might be a 666 element to the post too… Keeping in the devilish spirit, of course!


6 Creepy Reads

This is dedicated to all things creepy and atmospheric, but not really scream-your-head off horror related! I chose six books that I think are fairly non-horror fan friendly :)


On Demon Wings by Karina Halle

I HIGHLY recommend the entire Experiment in Terror series – and they CANNOT be read out of order, it’ll ruin the series, trust me! – but a couple of them are scarier than others… with, in my opinion, On Demon Wings being the scariest. Dead Sky Morning comes a close second though…


The Devil’s Metal and The Devil’s Reprise by Karina Halle

Yep, more books by Karina Halle! She's my go-to author for consistently scary reads that have awesome characters. I do love the EIT series more, but these two books are definitely for those that like music. On the creepy side of things, I did think The Devil’s Reprise is a bit scarier, though!


Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Ok, this book isn’t horror. And it's not exactly what you'd call classically "scary" material either! But! The creepy atmosphere that’s created in the book is phenomenal, and had me on the edge of my seat.


Ghouls Gone Wild by Victoria Laurie

I highly recommend this series! If you’ve watched any of those ghost hunter shows on TV, then you’ll have a pretty good idea what this series is about. If you don’t like your scary books with a lot of gore, then these are perfect! The characters are so much fun, and the humour takes the edge of the creepy scenes.


Crane by Stacey Rourke

I read this recently, and it’s absolutely perfect for Halloween! It’s a retelling about the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow, and it’s definitely a creepy – and kind of gory – read.




6 Spooky Covers



The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff


Shutter by Courtney Alameda


Asylum by Madeleine Roux


Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff


Servants of the Storm by Delilah S. Dawson


Sin by Shaun Allan




6 Characters I’d Dress Up As For Halloween


I missed out on an awesome Top Ten Tuesday topic this week, and I think this is a good chance to make up for it :)


Alyssa Gardner – Splintered Trilogy by A.G. Howard.

There is one little requirement... I would dress up as Alyssa provided I can have my own personal MORPHEUS! Nothing Splintered would be complete without Morpheus :D


Celaena Sardothien - Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.

She would be so much fun to dress up as! Plus, if you tried to copy the cover, I’d bet that would terrify quite a few people walking down the street… Mwahaha!


Katniss Everdeen – The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

I think she’ll be a fairly popular choice for a lot of people this year! She'd be pretty easy to copy too... Ok, maybe the bow and arrows might be tricky to get a hold of!


Ireland Crane – Crane by Stacey Rourke.

Even replicating the cover would be creepy enough, but dressing up as the Headless Horseman – or Horsewoman in this case – would be a pretty good costume!


Linh Cinder – The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.

Dressing up as a cyborg would be a fantastic idea! Humm, or maybe a half Disney Cinderella and half Lunar Chronicle Cinder... Nah, full cyborg! So much better!


Yelena – Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder.

I’m not sure which Yelena would be better – the Ixia dressed Yelena, or the Sitia dressed Yelena… The Sitia Yelena would be a lot more colourful... but the Ixia Yelena would be better for Halloween!



Thanks for reading, have a fabulous Halloween!



4 comments:

  1. Love that you got a Karina Halle plug in :) And that cover for The Replacment just freaks me out, it's great! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I love Karina Halle's books, it's no secret :D Her books just work for me :)

      Delete
  2. HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALMA! I read Crane this year, which is definitely a very halloweenie read! AND YES dressing up as the horseman would be scary hahahha ;D :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...