Tuesday 20 May 2014

Teaser Tuesdays: May 19th



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


My Teaser: Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan


Tarnie chucked the bird under the chin. "Well, you're obviously smitten," he said. "Got a name for him yet?"
"No," said Polly dubiously. "The vet told me not to give him one."
"You can't just call him "the puffin". What about Pete?"
"Peter Puffin?" said Polly. "Not sure. Sounds a bit like a newsreader. What about Muffin?"
"MUFFIN?" said Tarnie. "I can't believe you'd inflict that on the poor thing. All the other birds will laugh their heads off at him."

-- Little Beach Street Bakery, page 69


Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Synopsis:

Polly Waterford is recovering from a toxic relationship. Unable to afford their townhouse, she has to move miles away from everyone, to the sleepy little seaside resort of Polbearne, where she lives alone above an abandoned shop.

And so Polly takes out her frustrations on her favourite hobby: making bread. But what was previously a weekend diversion suddenly becomes far more important as she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, and each loaf becomes better and better. With nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, with local honey (courtesy of local bee keeper, Huckle), and with reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes and bakes . . . And people start to hear about it.

Sometimes, bread really is life . . . And Polly is about to reclaim hers.


Add to Goodreads



What do you think? What's your teaser this week, leave a link you your post, so I can stop by, or tell us in the comments.



14 comments:

  1. Haha I like the name Muffin for a bird! I think it sounds sweet! I've never heard of this story before, but it sounds like something I might enjoy in my off time. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! I'm enjoying it, it's very funny but has a serious side to it too. Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

      (Unfortunately, she didn't settle on Muffin as a name for the puffin, I liked it too!)

      Delete
  2. LOL Nice teaser! I have a friend who really likes Jenny Colgan's books, she praises them so well that I find myself curious every time I listen to her. Perhaps I should not refrain myself so much and give her a go sooner rather than later, huh?
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and also for the follow! I'm followig you back via Bloglovin' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second Jenny Colgan and I loved both. I read The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris five or so months ago, and yes, I craved chocolate for a long time after reading it! I read more Paranormal/Sci-fi/Fantasy, so a book like this every now and again is a nice break. Definitely give her books a go! Thanks for stopping by and for the follow Silvia =)

      Delete
  3. Most books that are based on people baking end up sucking me in and making me bake much more than I should. Hope you enjoy it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, I do the same! It makes it even harder to resist as the Jenny includes recipes at the back of her books. Her chocolate shop book was pure torture with all the chocolate recipes :D Thanks for stopping by Paulita!

      Delete
  4. The thought of Muffin the Puffin makes me laugh so I'm sure the other birds would too. Sounds like a fun read although I think I would have to have some muffins to accompany this one. Thanks for visiting my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/teaser-tuesday-may-20/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The poor little puffin, haha! I'd definitely recommend the book, it's very funny, but has serious side too. :) Thanks for stopping by Cleo!

      Delete
  5. This sounds really cute. Great teaser. Thanks for stopping by my site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really sweet teaser...it had me giggling. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks for stopping by Brandee =)

      Delete
  7. Haha! Nice! Was a bit baffled about the outrage of Muffin. I mean do birds really tease one another? ;) Guess we'll never know! :D

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks for stopping by Jessica =)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...