Monday 5 May 2014

Mockingjay set to Music, Part 3.



Note: As Mockingjay is Book Three in a Trilogy, this post contains spoilers for the previous books in the series, and also for the ending. Highlight the box below at your own discretion ;)


Music Monday is a weekly book meme created by Athena @ Total Book Geek. Everyone can join in, check out all the information here.

Over the past couple of weeks, I chose two songs for both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, and I'm doing the same again for Mockingjay. These books are just to hard to sum up in one song!

So much happens in Mockingjay but the main themes I've chosen from the book are war and the aftermath.

The first song I have chosen is Zombie by The Cranberries. The revolution has gripped Panem and Katniss has become the symbol of the rebellion. The choice has been taken out of her hands and she has to do the one thing she has never wanted to do: fight.





Zombie - Lyrics


Another head hangs lowly,
Child is slowly taken.
And the violence caused such silence.
Who are we mistaken?

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, dou, dou, dou, dou, dou...


Another mother's breakin'
Heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence,
We must be mistaken.

It's the same old theme since nineteen-sixteen.
In your head, in your head they're still fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are dying...

In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, hey, oh, ya, ya-a...


** This box contains spoilers. Highlight to read the text. **

I think I’m one of the few people who didn’t see much of a love triangle in the Hunger Games. Katniss made her choice right in the first book. It was always Peeta. Gale was her childhood friend, her safety blanket since her father was killed in the coal mines. He was her habit. Peeta is the only person who really knew her and loved her unconditionally. No matter what she chose or what she did, he had her back and supported her.

Regardless if Gale was involved in Prim's death or not, if there was ever a shot for him, he put an end to it in Catching Fire when he decided if there was a rebellion, he would fight. He wouldn’t sacrifice anything for her, yet she put her own life on the line to save him. Katniss never, ever wanted to fight. She didn’t want to be the Mockingjay. She didn’t want to kill people in the Games. All she wanted was as peaceful a life as they could create where she could be surrounded by her loved ones. So does Peeta. To me, there never was a choice, and it would have been out of character for Katniss if she ended up with Gale.


My second song is Broken by Seether. This song isn't really for the ending necessarily, but for her state of mind and her feelings throughout the book. So much has happened to Katniss over the course of the three books. She is a teenage kid who has had to fight for her life twice in an arena, and also every day since she survived the games. The rebellion has destroyed not only their homes, but their lives: a piece of each of them is lost forever. Also, with what happens to Peeta and a couple of important characters, Katniss realises just how hopeless the situation is. She can’t go back to how things were before the rebellion. For this reason, I think the ending to the trilogy couldn’t have been more perfect. Katniss is left broken by the games and the rebellion, but one person can help her to feel a little bit of peace that she so desperately wanted.



Broken - Lyrics


I wanted you to know that I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph, I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

Because I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

You've gone away, you don't feel me here anymore.

The worst is over now and we can breathe again
I wanna hold you high, you steal my pain away
There's so much left to learn, and no one left to fight
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

[2x]
Because I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
Because I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

Because I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

You've gone away
You don't feel me here anymore


Tell me what you think of the songs. Thanks so much for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...