Thursday 8 May 2014

Bout of Books 10 -- Goals and Updates


Bout of Books

Bout of Books 10 is almost here! This read-a-thon is very low pressure: the challenge is to read more than you usually would in the week. The event runs from Midnight on Monday, 12th March to Midnight on Sunday, 18th March, in whatever timezone you are in. Sign-ups are still open, so this is the perfect excuse to set some time aside to read more than you usually do.

I'll be trying to read as much as I can throughout the week, and I'll do my best to set aside one - two hours a day to do nothing but read. Hopefully I'll get a couple of days during the week where I can sneak an extra hour or two in.


Goals

I average out at 2 - 2.5 books a week, but this isn't really accurate. Some weeks I complete one book, the next I could complete three, and other weeks I might only get half a book read. My goal is going to be four books, but I'll be happy if I can complete three, and have started the fourth by the time the week is complete.


Books I Plan to Read

This list isn't set in stone, I chose them based on their page numbers, as they are some of the shortest books I have to read at the minute. I'd like to complete my goal, and I know if I included a 500+ page book I'd be setting myself up to fail right from the start!

- Girl with Guitar by Caisey Quinn - 210 pages (Kindle)
- Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore - 225 pages (Paperback)
- The Bullet List by Nikki Roman - 247 pages (Kindle)
- Die for Me by Amy Plum - 341 pages (Paperback)

If I manage to read all four, this gives me a total page count of 1023 pages. In a week. Yeah, I'm a little intimidated already! I think I'll start with Die for Me, as it's the book I want to read most - try to get off to a good start!

If, by some miracle, I have completed all of these books before the week is up, (or if I want to switch a book) I'll move onto some of these:

- Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins (Paperback)
- Matched by Ally Condie (Paperback)
- Darkness, Be My Friend by John Marsden (Paperback)
- Forgiven by Carly Fall (Kindle)


Progress and Updates


Monday


Currently Reading: Die for Me by Amy Plum
Pages Read Today: 152 pages
Total Pages: 152 pages
Number of Books Completed: 0
Books Completed: None yet
Challenges: If you like X, try Y

Thoughts:

Die for Me is the longest of the four books I’ve chosen to read this week, and I’m almost half-way through, so I’m pretty pleased with my progress so far. To make my goal, I need to be reading around 145-150 pages a day, so hopefully I’ll get a repeat and keep the momentum going.


Tuesday


Currently Reading: Die for Me by Amy Plum
Pages Read Today: 118 pages
Total Pages: 270 pages
Number of Books Completed: 0
Books Completed: None Yet
Challenges: Day Two Challenges

Thoughts:

I didn’t get as much read as I’d hoped. 118 pages is still a good total. I was hoping to complete Die For Me, but I didn't get enough time to read.



Wednesday


Currently Reading: Girl With Guitar by Caisey Quinn
Pages Read Today: Die for Me -- 71 pages; Girl With Guitar -- 57 pages = 128 pages
Total Pages: 398 pages
Number of Books Completed: 1
Books Completed:

Thoughts:

Phew, finally got my first book completed! I was hoping to be a little further along, but I’m actually pretty happy with almost 400 pages at this stage. April was a slow reading month for me, so I’m already reading more. Now, just to add a couple more hours to each day, so I can get back on track… ;)

Looking at some of the other Bout of Bookers updates, I’m realising I’m an incredibly slow reader! I don’t have the attention span or the ability to sit still and do only one thing for hours on end to read an entire book in one sitting – I just physically can’t do it! I end up getting distracted, or even worse, bored by the book I’m reading and I definitely don’t want that to happen!



Thursday


Currently Reading: Finished Girl With Guitar, started Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore
Pages Read Today: 159
Total Pages: 557
Number of Books Completed: 2
Books Completed:

Thoughts:

Got a second book finished, and got a little more time to read than I have over the past few day, and I'm over halfway to completing my total page count, so big win/win!


Friday


Currently Reading: Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore
Pages Read Today: 118 pages
Total Pages: 675 pages
Number of Books Completed: 2
Books Completed:

Thoughts:

I knew going into this challenge that breaking the 1000 page mark in a week would be very ambitious. I think it's safe to say that I'm not going to get all four books complete, but I should be able to complete three, and have started the fourth. If I can get into the 900's, I'll be happy!



Saturday


Currently Reading: Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore and The Bullet List by Nikki Roman
Pages Read Today: Magic Under Glass -- 107 pages; The Bullet List -- 39 pages = 146 pages
Total Pages: 821 pages
Number of Books Completed: 3
Books Completed:

Took part in the twitter chat.


Sunday


Currently Reading: The Bullet List by Nikki Roman
Pages Read Today: 127 pages
Total Pages: 948 pages
Number of Books Completed: 3
Books Completed:


Bout of Books Wrap-Up


This was my first bout of books, and it was a lot of fun. I ended up doing more challenges than I anticipated, and I took part in the twitter chat on Saturday which I didn't expect to be free at that time. I almost completed all four of my books, and I'm pretty happy with 3 and 3/4 books in a week! The next Bout of Books is set for this coming August, and if time allows, I'd love to take part again. Maybe I'll actually get to break that 1000 pages read in a week goal... Very tempting!



2 comments:

  1. It's tough coming up with a goal that's both realistic and a challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I didn't want to aim to low, but I don't want to set something unattainable either! Good luck with the challenge Charleen!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...