Monday 26 May 2014

Review: Forgiven by Carly Fall


Forgiven by Carly Fall book cover image

Title: Forgiven
Author: Carly Fall
Series: Angels of Affection, #2
Format: eBook, received for review
My rating: 3.5 / 5
Setting: Lake Tahoe, CA

Add to Goodreads


The next assignment for Angels of Affection, Liam and Adela, takes them to snowy Lake Tahoe, California. As they search for the next people they are to help fall in love, they are told they will be receiving some assistance from a third angel.

As she watches an argument between a man and woman in the cabin across the way, Adela believes she has found their next mission. As Liam and Adela work to bring the couple back together, a series of dramatic events tears the angels apart, and sends Liam to Eternity—a place with no beginning and no end.

As Liam’s past and present collide and Adela struggles on Earth with the fallout from the events, it becomes very apparent that things aren’t always what they seem, and sometimes an angel needs to realize the answers are right in front of him.



My Thoughts


Forgiven is the second book in the Angels of Affection series and it continues on from where Betrayed leaves off. I liked this book a lot more than Betrayed. I do have a few things that bothered me, and that prevented me from rating it higher, but by the end I did like it. I’m not going to write a summary as I think you need to go into this book with as little knowledge as possible to enjoy it fully.


The book started out on shaky ground for me. We get quite a detailed summary of things that happened in the first book, and this would be extremely beneficial if you have a gap between reading both books. The down side to this is if you’ve read the first book recently or are reading both back-to-back, everything is already familiar.


I’ve said this several times, both in reviews and elsewhere: I really don’t like repetitiveness in my books, more specifically back-tracking. Unfortunately, for my tastes, the writing style is a bit too prone to back-tracking and it gets under my skin all too often. I find myself rolling my eyes and thinking, “Yeah, I already know this!”


Just after the half-way point, I really began liking the story. Things progressed a lot quicker in Forgiven, and it was a welcome change of pace. The ground work was taken care of in Betrayed, and we could move forward with the story. Part of me feels if both books were incorporated into one, I might have enjoyed it better – minus the back-tracking ;)


When Gunnar appeared in the novel, I was dreading a love-triangle forming. That really would have been a big negative, and thankfully, it did not occur. This book focused on Liam and Adela and establishing them as characters, and exploring their feelings that have built since the first book. I liked the way this progressed and how it was handled. It felt like a natural progression which is a big plus. I liked both Liam and Adela a lot more that I had previously, and I feel we actually got to see them a bit clearer as they are now, without having to establish a background.


Out of the two books in the series, I prefer Forgiven. Both the main and supporting characters appealed to me more, and the story flowed a lot better. It was easy to see what was going to happen, so there weren’t any real surprises, but I did enjoy what happened and the ending suited the story. I will be honest; my hang up with both books is the writing style. It’s not really my cuppa, but if you have read the authors other books and liked them, I think you’ll love this series also.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...