Friday 25 September 2015

Review: Earth & Sky by Megan Crewe


book cover

Title: Earth & Sky
Author: Megan Crewe
Series: Earth & Sky, #1
Format: eARC, kindly provided
by the publisher via
NetGalley (Thank you!!)
My rating: 4 / 5

Add to Goodreads


Seventeen-year-old Skylar has been haunted for as long as she can remember by fleeting yet powerful sensations that something is horribly wrong. But despite the panic attacks tormenting her, nothing ever happens, and Sky’s beginning to think she’s crazy. Then she meets a mysterious, otherworldly boy named Win and discovers the shocking truth her premonitions have tapped into: our world no longer belongs to us. For thousands of years, Earth has been at the mercy of alien scientists who care nothing for its inhabitants and are using us as the unwitting subjects of their time-manipulating experiments. Win belongs to a rebel faction seeking to put a stop to it, and he needs Skylar’s help--but with each shift in the past, the very fabric of reality is unraveling, and soon there may be no Earth left to save.

-- As seen on Goodreads


My Thoughts


I went into Earth & Sky with pretty low expectations, and it was for a couple of reasons. I read another Sci-fi/alien book recently that I didn’t particularly like, and I was a little apprehensive to try another so soon. Also, earlier this year I read one of the authors other books, Gave up the Ghost, and I wasn’t a big fan of it at all. Both of these things had me putting off reading Earth & Sky for longer than I intended. Now that I’ve finished reading it, I wish this was the first book of Megan Crewe’s I had read – I really, really enjoyed it!


When I read the blurb initially, I was both really intrigued and a little concerned about the time-travelling aliens. They’re not usually two concepts I associate merging together, but I have to say, I thought it worked really well here. Skyler is our main character, and she has suffered from panic attacks since her older brother, Noam, ran away when she was five. Since then, she will get a sense of wrongness from time to time which triggers the panic attacks, and she does her best to hide them from her friends and family. During a school field trip to the local courthouse, she meets a boy that could hold the answers to get rid of the sense of wrongness once and for all. I loved that we get straight into the action, and the plot never stopped from beginning to end.


I really liked Skyler’s character and how grounded she was. She questions what people are telling her, and doesn’t take things at face value. I really liked how conscious of her own personal safety she is, and this gets huge bonus points as I don’t think it’s shown often enough in YA. I couldn’t help empathising with Skyler as I’ve suffered from panic attacks in the past, and I really thought they were depicted really well. I really liked Win, too. It’s so nice to read about a regular guy for a change, rather than an arrogant asshole! While he did have a bit of an inflated ego at the beginning of the book, when everything is eventually explained, I can totally see why he acted in the way he did.


The writing style suited the story telling perfectly, providing the perfect amount of detail without going overboard and bogging down the story with unnecessary prose. I loved the action scenes in particular, and how well they were described: crisp, clear and so easy to visualise. It was so enjoyable to read, and it kept me hooked throughout.


Earth & Sky is the first book in a trilogy, and I love that it ended brutal-cliff-hanger-free. I feel this portion of the story has been wrapped up perfectly, leaving just enough clues to set the scene for the sequel, and to get me really curious about where the story will go from here. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Earth & Sky, and I can’t wait to continue on with the series in the near future.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...