Tuesday 29 September 2015

Mini-Reviews: Feast of Fools and The Assassin's Blade




Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine book cover

Title: Feast of Fools
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: The Morganville Vampires, #4
Format: Paperback, owned
My rating: 3.5 / 5

Add to Goodreads


n the town of Morganville, vampires and humans live in relative peace. Clare Danvers has never been convinced, though - especially with the arrival of Mr. Bishop, an ancient, old-school vampire who cares nothing about harmony. What he wants from the town's living and its dead is unthinkably sinister.

-- As seen on Goodreads


My Thoughts


The more books I read in the Morganville Vampire series, the more I’m enjoying the series as a whole. Each book is really quick and easy to read, and oh so entertaining. Feast of Fools continues on immediately after the ending in Midnight Alley, and I’m not going into detail about what happens– avoiding spoilers and all. That ‘story so far’ section before the book begins, though – how I wish more series did this! Particularly when there are long wait times between books being released, it’s inevitable that details will be forgotten. Getting a short little refresher without taking time away from the main book is definitely something I’d love to see more of.


Myrnin has become one of my favourite characters in the series, and I’m really glad to see he had a bigger role to play in this book. He’s the wildcard, as you don’t really know which version of his personality we’ll meet next, and I really like this unpredictability. Claire had grown on me an awful lot since the last book. Yes, she had a few moments where I wanted to shake her, but overall, I’m really beginning to like her. Thankfully, Shane was a lot less stupid, and his over exuberance for getting himself killed at the hands of vampires was toned down an awful lot. My one gripe would be the length of time it took to get down to the main point of the story. Granted, I really enjoyed how the story progressed, but I feel there was a lot of waiting around until things began to kick off. Once they did, though, I really enjoyed the remainder of the book.


I can’t put my finger on what it is, but there’s something very compelling about this series. Right now, I really like it, but I’m waiting for it to become truly amazing. Hopefully I won’t be disappointed, and I can’t wait to read the next book.






The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas book cover

Title: The Assassin's Blade
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass, #0.5
Format: Paperback, owned
My rating: 5 / 5

Add to Goodreads


Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.

-- As seen on Goodreads


My Thoughts


The Assassin’s Blade was amazing! It gave a completely different insight into Celaena, and showed us what shaped her into the character we know and love in the main novels. I read these novellas in between Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows, and for me, this was the perfect time to read them. I was familiar with some of the things that occurred, and I loved getting all the additional details that I was craving to know. I enjoyed some novellas more than others, and I’d rate each as follows:


The Assassin and the Pirate Lord – 4.5 Stars.
Reaction: I loved Sam. I loved Celaena. And I loved seeing both of them together! Celaena is a little different, yet so familiar. She’s more… pure. Pure assassin. I love it!


The Assassin and the Healer – 3.5 Stars
Reaction: Not as good as the first novella, but I enjoyed it. And, I really hope Yrene appears in future books. She’d be an interesting character to know more about.


The Assassin and the Desert – 5 Stars
Reaction: Finally I got to see the story behind the horse that was mentioned so many books ago! This was easily my favourite novella, and it was completely amazing, awesome and perfect!


The Assassin and the Underworld - 4 Stars
Reaction: Three words: Dorian and Chaol!


The Assassin and the Empire – 4.5 Stars
Reaction: The tears. So. Many. Tears *sniffle*


Overall, I loved this collection of novellas. It added so much back story, and I didn’t think I could love Celaena Sardothien more, but I do. She’s is a fabulous protagonist, and she’ll always have a special place in my heart. And Sam! Let’s not forget Sam, and how truly awesome he is.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...