Wednesday 25 February 2015

WoW #42: Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas



Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


This week, I'm waiting on...


Ash & Bramble


by Sarah Prineas


Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas  book cover


Expected publication: September 15th 2015

Genres: Fantasy; Retelling; Young Adult


Add to Goodreads


When the glass slipper just doesn’t fit…

The tale of Cinderella has been retold countless times. But what you know is not the true story.

Pin has no recollection of who she is or how she got to the Godmother’s fortress. She only knows that she is a Seamstress, working day in and out to make ball gowns fit for fairy tales. But she longs to forsake her backbreaking servitude and dares to escape with the brave young Shoemaker.

Pin isn’t free for long before she’s captured again and forced to live the new life the Godmother chooses for her—a fairy tale story, complete with a charming prince—instead of finding her own happily ever after.

Sarah Prineas’s bold fairy tale retelling is a dark and captivating world where swords are more fitting than slippers, young shoemakers are just as striking as princes, and a heroine is more than ready to rescue herself before the clock strikes midnight.


I LOVE the sound of Ash & Bramble! Really, all I needed to know was the ‘Cinderella retelling’ part, and I’d want to read it. I don’t know if I’m reading too much into the synopsis, but it sounds like the Fairy Godmother is the evil one... I love it! I’m really intrigued by the ‘brave young Shoemaker’ part. As much as Prince Charming is, well, charming, it’s nice to see something a little different happening. Let the commoners have a chance!

But! Yeah, there had to be a ‘but.’ I don’t really like the cover. I don’t think it screams ‘Cinderella retelling.’ It looks a bit… meh. But I think I could get over a less than phenomenal cover, as long as the book lives up to the awesome synopsis! Hopefully this will turn out to be one of those times I’m glad I read the blurb, and didn’t judge the book by its cover.


What do you think? And what are you waiting on this week?



12 comments:

  1. Well this sounds eerily amazing.
    My Waiting on Wednesday
    new follower via bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost picked this book this week (great minds think alike), but "Steampunk Frankenstein" won out. I definitely can't wait to read Ash & Bramble. The cover does seem a bit underwhelming, but the book sounds fantastic! Great pick & thanks for stopping by Michelle's Minions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, we're WOW twins today Alma!! I'm so excited for Ash & Bramble as well. I can't wait to meet Pin. And, I loved the fact the blurb mentions this: "a heroine is more than ready to rescue herself." Yes, count me in.
    Great pick, Alma :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like retellings too, so this one sounds really interesting. I love the twist of making the fairy godmother the evil character. I'll have to add this one to my list! Great pick. Thanks! My WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick!! I just learned of this one this morning at another WoW and it immediately went on my book list for this year! Sounds incredible!!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this does sound good. I really like retellings and haven't read a Cinderella one in a while so maybe I'll check this out :) But I do agree with you on the cover – not really doing it for me. Thanks so much for sharing and stopping by!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you like it!
    My WoW: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/02/waiting-on-wednesday-3-manwhore.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice! This is the first I've heard of this one but it seems pretty good! I hope you have a great week. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this a bit lately, and every time makes me want to read it any more. I hope you get to enjoy it.

    My WOW: http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2015/02/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one looks really good! I LOVE the cover! I hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am all about fairytales and their retellings as well!!! This one is definitely high on my list to read!
    But I have to agree with you about the cover! There is SO much that they could have done to make this such a phenomenal cover. Quite disappointing. Let's hope for a redo before release ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES! I absolutely adore retellings! I'm definitely adding this one! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...