Monday 9 February 2015

Review: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter


I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter book cover

Title: I'd Tell You I Love You,
But Then I'd Have to Kill You
Author: Ally Carter
Series: Gallagher Girls, #1
Format: Paperback, owned
My rating: 3 / 5
Pages: 309

Add to Goodreads


Cammie Morgan is a student at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, a fairly typical all-girls school-that is, if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses but it's really a school for spies. Even though Cammie is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man in seven different ways, she has no idea what to do when she meets an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl. Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, or track him through town with the skill of a real "pavement artist"-but can she maneuver a relationship with someone who can never know the truth about her?

Cammie Morgan may be an elite spy-in-training, but in her sophomore year, she's on her most dangerous mission-falling in love.

-- As seen on Goodreads


My Thoughts


I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You turned out to be one of those 'I really liked it, but I didn’t love it' reads. It’s an excellent young adult book and I didn’t really have any major issues with it at all. My lack of love is not the books fault, it’s me: I think I’m a little too old to fully love and appreciate it. If I had read this back when it was first released, I know I would have LOVED it!


Gallagher Academy is seen by the local population as a private school for spoilt, privileged rich girls, but under the posh exterior lies something much more interesting: Gallagher Academy is a spy school. I liked the way academy life was portrayed, and everything I would associate with the words ‘spy school’ showed up in the book. While this level of familiarity is nice, I was hoping for something to make me think oh wow, that was amazing, and I didn’t feel that happened.


I really liked the friendships between the characters. It felt genuine, and I could easily believe they had a strong bond between them. Cammie is our main character and narrator and while I liked her well enough, I feel she was a little too subtle. Her nickname is the Chameleon, as she can blend into any situation seamlessly, but I feel her character blended in a little too much at times. I don’t feel she was distinct enough, and some of the other character overshadowed her quite a bit. Liz and Bex are both great characters, but I feel like I’ve seen them before. Yet again, this familiarity can be a good thing… but I was hoping for that extra unique oomph that didn’t occur.


The story itself was enjoyable, but I was expecting a bit more on the spy front, and a little less on the romance plot. While I thought the romance between Cammie and Josh was cute and adorable, I felt it took over a bit too much. I preferred the ending when the majority of the action started! I was expecting a fast pace, learning on the seat of your pants kind of spy novel, but it ended up being slower paced with a lot more romance thrown in.


There is a lot of hype around the Gallagher Girls series, and I think it’s completely deserved. This is one of those occasions where I have to hold my hands up and say I think it’s me, not the book. I was looking for more… looking for that next step that would make me love the story, but it didn’t appear. Overall, I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have To Kill You was a really enjoyable book, but it didn’t captivate me as much as I was hoping.





3 comments:

  1. Don't you just hate it when romance overshadows everything else?! I have to admit this is way outside of what I would normally read. It does sound pretty interesting though! I've also found several books that seem a little too "young" for me. Makes me wish I'd done more reading of YA when I was an actual young adult... Great review :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I kinda felt the same way when reading this book and it took me 9 months to read the second one (my sister kept insisting I would like the series). After reading the second one though I was hooked and each one after that kept getting better (and there was definitively a lot more spy stuff and less fluffy romance). It is now my favorite series and I have read the books multiple times. I highly recommend trying at least one more book in the series because it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book quite a few years ago and absolutely adored it! I read the last book in the series no too long ago and I would agree with you that it's a book aimed at the younger end of the YA spectrum. I still love the series an I'd definitely recommend them! Great review!

    Alexandra @ Alexandra Florence Books

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...