Monday 17 November 2014

Review: Upside Down by Lia Riley


Upside Down by Lia Riley book cover

Title: Upside Down
Author: Lia Riley
Series: Off the Map, #1
Format: eARC, kindly provided by
publishers via Netgalley.
My rating: 3 / 5

Add to Goodreads


If You Never Get Lost, You’ll Never Be Found

Twenty-one-year-old Natalia Stolfi is saying goodbye to painful memories—and turning her life upside down with a trip to the land down under. For the next six months, she’ll pretend to be a carefree exchange student. Everything is going to plan until she meets a surly surfer with hypnotic green eyes, and the troubling ability to see straight through her act.

Bran Lockhart is having the worst year on record. After the girl of his dreams turned into a nightmare, he slunk back to Melbourne to piece his life together. Yet no amount of disappointment could blind him to the pretty California girl who gets past all his defenses. He’s never wanted anyone the way he wants Talia. A single semester abroad won’t cover something this serious. But when Bran gets a stark reminder of why he stopped believing in love, he and Talia must decide if what they have is once-in-a-lifetime . . . or if there’s a plane to California with her name on it.

-- As seen on Goodreads



My Thoughts


I always find three star reviews the hardest to write. There are always lots of things I enjoy in these books, yet they sit somewhere in between ‘liked’ and ‘loved’ in my eyes, and I end up feeling stuck in the middle. When I heard that one of the characters in Upside Down had OCD, I really wanted to read it and see how it would be handled. While I liked everything that was shown, the OCD element wasn’t as prominent as I was expecting, but it was enjoyable to see a different aspect shown in the New Adult genre.


Talia has struggled since her sister’s death. She’s failing college and none of her friends or family is providing the support she is crying out for and she realises she needs to get away from the memories, and decides to go to Australia for five months. She’s determined to be more like her sister, and will resort to faking happiness and an outgoing spirit if necessary. She meets Bran, who can see through the perfectly happy mask that she shows the rest of the world, and things slowly begin to unravel.


While there are some cliché moments, the characters grew on me quite quickly and I really enjoyed their story. I love books set in Australia, so Upside Down had a little spot in my heart already! I loved the slower building romance between Talia and Bran, and I loved seeing how their lives were unfolding. Most of the book is narrated from Talia’s perspective, and we get to know her a lot quicker than Bran. She’s more open in a lot of ways, and Bran is very closed off in comparison. We do get brief chapters from his perspective here and there, but they add more to the mystery surrounding him, rather than giving us much insight into his thoughts. And I thought it really worked well, and it takes a long time for us to begin to see his true personality. I usually prefer one character over another in these situations, but I ended up liking both characters equally.


I was really enjoying the book, and the first 70-75% flew by. It was really entertaining and I was thinking this could be an easy 4 or more star read… until the last 20-25%, when we entered Drama-Llama Ville. The book did a 180, and I was so frustrated and disappointed! It felt like road-blocks, conflict and drama was being thrown at us left and right for no reason other than to create a problem for the characters to overcome! It was way, way too much. It was too hectic, and I wanted to jump into the book and bash the characters heads together and yell at them for not communicating! Just TALK! You’ve been doing it for the entire book, don’t stop at the ending!! Ultimately I did like the actual ending, even if it was a little cliché, but it helped me to overlook the lead-up drama a little.


I always hope to find NA books that branch away from a very strong romantic thread, and with the OCD elements I thought Upside Down had a really good chance of being the one. While it did touch on the issues, the relationship between the two main characters is the main focal point. But – having said all of this – I was in the mood for a nice contemporary read, and Upside Down fit the bill perfectly. I enjoyed the story, and I liked the characters and the setting, so there are LOADS of plus points! I plan on continuing on with their story, and I just wish the lead-up to the ending was the same as the beginning, and then I know I would have loved it more than I did.




6 comments:

  1. I hate it so much when a book just totally lets you down right at the end! I've had similar experiences recently and I just kind of sit there staring, open mouthed. I know the feeling. It sounds like you did at least kind of enjoy it though! The OCD element definitely seems like a reason to pick it up - that doesn't seem to be covered very often in fiction. Thanks for sharing :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, it's so frustrating! Conflict and challenges are necessary, but when they crop up out of the blue and don't add to the story it's very annoying :/ I did enjoy the book, which is great, considering the bump along the way! Thanks Tracy :D

      Delete
  2. I'm the exact same, three star reviews are so much harder to review than the ones I either really loved or really hated. I don't know why, I just feel like I don't have as much to say about them. They were okay, but they didn't really leave me with a lot to talk about. The last 20% of the book would really get to me, I hate when there is far too much drama in a book. Unnecessary drama at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I find it so hard to get the words out, 'cause everything is nice, or good, and there's only so many ways you can say that! I was so disappointment with the unnecessary drama - and in honesty, it's why I stay away from the contemporary genre so much. Oh well, can't love 'em all! Thanks for stopping by, Charnell!

      Delete
  3. I have the same trouble with 3 star reviews too. What a shame that it was going so well and then went down hill. Glad the book finished well. Thanks for sharing.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! It's so frustrating when the lead up to the ending disappoints, it sort of taints all the good stuff that already happened. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...