Tuesday 10 June 2014

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme run by The Broke and the Bookish. This week, the topic is our Top Ten Books We've Read So Far This Year.



I’ve read 57 books so far this year. That’s a heck of a lot, and about eight or nine more than I read this time last year. I wish all of those were books I loved, but they can’t all be favourites. Only sixteen out of those fifty-seven I’d consider to be books I loved. I’m not sure if I’m being becoming incredibly picky, or if I’m losing my ability to choose books I’ll like!


I tried to put these in order, and this is the final ten I’ve come up with. I’ve switched it around four times already, so it’s not necessarily set in stone!



the Lost Girl book cover


10. The Lost Girl

by Sangu Mandanna


I feel this tenth spot could have gone to at least three other books as well as The Lost Girl. I chose it as it’s probably the least known of the ones I could have picked. I really enjoyed The Lost Girl; the writing was really good and so enjoyable to read, but the characters definitely made the book for me. Definitely give it a go.


Unearthly book cover


9. Unearthly

by Cynthia Hand


I had a shaky start with Unearthly. It took me a while to connect properly with the characters, but in the end everything clicked and I ended up really enjoying the book.


Life Eternal book cover


8. Life Eternal

by Yvonne Woon


Life Eternal is book two in the Dead Beautiful trilogy. The first book I was on the fence about. Life Eternal completely blew me away! It was so much better, and made reading the first book seem worth it after all.


Little Beach Street Bakery book cover


7. Little Beach Street Bakery

by Jenny Colgan


This is another book I’ve finished only recently. I love it. My review can probably sum it up better than I can here.


The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris book cover


6. The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris

by Jenny Colgan


This was the first Jenny Colgan book I read, and I adored it. I really think she managed to capture Paris so perfectly. And the chocolate! Let’s not forget the chocolate ;)


Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour book cover


5. Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour

by Morgan Matson


I love road-trip books, and this one reads almost like a scrap-book with maps, playlists, pictures and receipts scattered here and there.


Ashes to Ashes book cover


4. Ashes to Ashes

by Karina Halle


I absolutely adore the Experiment in Terror series, and in Ashes to Ashes Perry and Dex were back to themselves again. I ❤ this series so much! If you haven’t fallen for Dex before, you definitely will in this book…


Into the Still Blue book cover


3. Into the Still Blue

by Veronica Rossi


This is the last book in the Under the Never Sky trilogy, and it was a really fitting ending to an amazing series. I loved the first two so much, it was a very tall order for Into the Still Blue to overshadow both of them. It matched them, and Roar, gotta love Roar!


Love, In English book cover


2. Love, In English

by Karina Halle


Love, In English is the only book I’ve experienced the full range of emotions this year. All. The. Feels! I haven’t cried – ok, more like inconsolable sobbing – when I was reading a book since Forbidden. Granted, they are two COMPLETELY different books and endings, but that was the last time I remember crying so much.


Nevermore book cover


1. Nevermore

by Kelly Creagh


I wasn’t sure what to expect going in to read Nevermore, but it completely blew me away! The atmosphere is so amazing; it's like a creepy fog slowly overshadows the book a little more on each page. It’s incredibly done! And Varen. How could I forget Varen! Both he and Isobel made the book even better. I absolutely loved it.


What books have you loved so far this year? Tell us in the comments, or leave a link to your TTT!



14 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the cover for Love, In English, which makes me want to get it no matter what. And also, I've never heard of Amy and Roger's Epic Detour BUT I LOVE ROADTRIPS! I'm adding it to my TBR list right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cover too! I personally adored the book, but I know the subject matter isn't for everyone. I hope you love Amy and Rogers Epic Detour, it's such a sweet and lovely book =)

      Delete
  2. Ooh wow. There are some books on your list that I haven't heard of before, but I really want to get to. I have a copy of The Lost Girl. I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I really hope you love The Lost Girl! Thanks for stopping by Chrissi =)

      Delete
  3. OOoh nice! I liked Into the Still Blue and Unearthly as well! Great picks!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, glad you liked both of them too =)

      Delete
  4. 57 is awesome! I have only read Into the Still Blue from your list, but I need to check out your others!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missie, hope you liked Into the Still Blue!

      Delete
  5. I just started reading Morgan Matson's books with Second Chance Summer. I've been looking forward to reading Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, so i'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read Second Chance Summer, I've heard so many good things about it. Thanks for stopping by Jenny!

      Delete
  6. Unearthly is the only one I've read from your list. I know what you mean about taking a while to connect with the characters. I kept going back and forth on how I felt about that book hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, LOL! I remember being fifty/fifty for at least half the book, then things just clicked and I ended up really liking it =)

      Delete
  7. I JUST bought Unearthly. I am excited to read it. I need to get to Under the Never Sky as well. I look forward to them both. Thanks for a great list and visiting mine this week. (Sorry, I'm slow on my replies this week) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I hope you love Unearthly! Hope you love Under the Never Sky when you get a chance to read it, too. Thanks for stopping by Kristalyn!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...