Sunday 8 June 2014

Sunday Post #4 - June 1 - 8


The Sunday Post

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news, recap what has happened on the blog, what is upcoming and anything everything in between.


Stacking The Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!


I'm combining both memes together again this week, and I'll be linking this post up to both linky's.


June 1 - 8 Re-Cap / Mini-discussion



I’m a little curious about something: Do you plan what you are going to read in advance?


I do. The main reason? Goodreads Challenges. I joined a couple of reading challenge groups last year, and I’ve become slightly addicted to challenging myself to complete the tasks or spell out the chosen words using book titles/author initials by the deadline date. I, erm, have over forty challenges currently active. Yeah… ok. Maybe the words “slightly addicted” don’t quite cover it? The only way I have a hope of completing any of these is to select the books I need to read in advance, and that’s usually a list of ten or eleven titles, and I read them in any order I like throughout the month.


There is a reason why I’m rambling about this. Having a list of books to read does help with knowing what to read next. But… the big downside is when I buy a bunch of new books and I can’t really read any of them immediately – it sucks! I have three books that are driving me absolutely bonkers for the past week: Cinder; Throne of Glass and Breakable. They are sitting on my bookshelf, tempting me, and I know I can’t read them this month unless I finish my TBR pile for June early.


This is going to be my little note-to-self moment: No. More. Reading. Challenges! Bring on the spontaneity!


Phew, I feel better after that little outburst… ok, carrying on: My beautiful shiny books I've added to my never-ending TBR shelves this week!


Books I Bought




Hallowed is book two in the Unearthly trilogy which I'm really looking forward to continuing. I've seen some mixed things about it, so, trying to keep lower expectations for this one. The Scorch Trials is number two in The Maze Runner trilogy. It's been a couple of months since I read The Maze Runner, and I'm not as big a fan as I was back then. It happens. Hopefully book two will help me remember what I saw in the first book.


And finally, the three little gems that I'm pretty sure I'll love, that I can't read just yet. *cries*


The links will open up each books Goodreads page.

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Breakable by Tammara Webber


On the Blog this past week


Tuesday: Ten Books That Will Be In My Beach Bag This Summer – 2014 Edition
Wednesday: WoW #13: Complicit by Stephanie Kuehu
Thursday:Review: The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna
Thursday:2014 Book Blogger Summer Reading Programme – May Update
Friday:Feature and Follow #8 – Guilty Pleasures
Saturday:Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Books I read this past week


Marched by Ally Condie -- Love, Lex by Avery Aster -- (And almost finished) Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Soundtrack for the Week


Chris Cornell and Ben Shepherd (Soundgarden) -- Black Hole Sun





Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to leave a link you your Stacking or Sunday Post posts.



18 comments:

  1. I hope you love Cinder as much as I did! The Lunar Chronicles are a really awesome series.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope I do! I've been wanting to read it for a while now, so *fingers crossed* I'll love it =)

      Delete
  2. Yes, I do plan what I'll be reading in advance, because I have too many books, because I have complete series, or I have only #1 of different series, then there are books I'd really love to read before the others, so I plan. It's not carved in stone, though, it can always change. When there's a book I just bought and really want to read first, it goes straight to the top of my list. Have a great week ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, glad I'm not the only one who plans =) I do notice I read a lot more if I plan ahead, so that helps chip away at the never ending pile of books around the house! I know the feeling of having too many books all to well, I doubt I'll ever find the time to read them all.

      Delete
  3. I really want to read Cinder but haven't gotten my hands on a copy just yet. Hopefully you love it! I do plan to some extent what I'm going to read as I need to have some structure but I've learned to the hard way that not allowing for any flexibility in what you're going to read can cause some massive reading slumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This: --> I've learned to the hard way that not allowing for any flexibility in what you're going to read can cause some massive reading slumps!

      I completely agree! I just came out of a slump in April, and I'm really hoping it doesn't strike twice in the one year. I think I need a month of reading just what I feel like!

      Have a great week Katherine =)

      Delete
  4. I loved Cinder and Throne of Glass..I hope you do too. Awesome haul this week Alma. I keep a schedule for books using a calendar but because I am reading about a month out for posts I can move them around to suit my mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds just like a dream schedule to me! I'd love to get that organised.

      I hope I love both Cinder and Throne of Glass, I've heard so many good things about them, *fingers crossed!*

      Delete
  5. I have to plan what I'm reading because I'm as addicted to NetGalley as you are to Goodreads! I also find it helps to map out when each review will be posted, and then if I get a couple weeks ahead on my schedule, I can pick up one of the books I've bought to read 'for fun' and sneak it in as a little treat. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Ohh Netgalley, that is one site I need to limit the amount of time I spend on. I tend to want to request every book, but I know I won't have the time to read them all! Have a great week Chelsea =)

      Delete
  6. OOOh niiiice! LOVED Bitten! Kelly's series is by far one of my most faves! Hope you enjoy all your new reads!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I'm so glad to hear Bitten is good! It'll probably be a while before I get around to it, but hopefully I'll love it =) Have a great week Jessica!

      Delete
  7. Oh, girl! You haven't read Throne of Glass yet?! You are going to fall in love! I'm so jealous of your being able to read this series for the first time! You will need Crown of Midnight IMMEDIATELY after you finish, so be prepared!
    I can't wait to hear your opinions on it! :)

    Amanda @ Of Spectacles and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read it, I hope I love Throne of Glass! I'm trying to keep my expectation at least a little realistic, hopefully it'll be amazing. And thanks for the heads up on the sequel, I'm glad it's published at least, so there won't be years of waiting. There is nothing worse than ending on a cliff hanger and having to wait two years to find out what happens next! Have a great week Amanda =)

      Delete
  8. I caved and about Cinder back last month...still haven't read it yet though, yikes. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's a very familiar story for me too. I bought Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn last April -- April of 2013... Yeah, might be time I started that! Have a great week Kirsty-Marie!

      Delete
  9. That's a really great question. What I do is I basically hoard books, just randomly pick them and then select one books I'm in the "mood" of reading LOL.
    I absolutely loved Cinder and I hope you do too! :)
    my sunday post: http://wp.me/p3v5T1-rQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea! Hopefully when I get some of my challenges completed I'll be able to do that again, I miss it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...