Saturday 28 November 2015

November 2015 Wrap-Up and Stacking the Shelves



Re-Cap

Is it just me, or has November FLOWN by?! It seems like I just wrote my October wrap-up post, and I can’t believe we’re another month closer to 2016 already. Around here, things have been a bit up in the air the past couple of weeks: we decided to redecorate the kitchen. (For the record, I thought it was a bad idea. I was outvoted.) Let me tell ya, it hasn’t been fun! I’ve discovered that paint fumes and no central heating aren’t really conductive to my creative side, so things have gone a little unmaintained around the blog. The end is in sight (thank God!), so hopefully I’ll have, like, oh, a day of peace before the Christmas mania sets in. Erm… yay?


I’m linking up to both Stacking the Shelves and The Sunday Post memes this weekend.



Books I Bought in November

I showed quite a bit of restraint this month – I bought 4 new books. I’m one of those people that usually binge buys what seems like a truck load of books from Amazon or the like in one huge order, but I’m starting to reconsider this approach. Buying, say, 2 or 3 books a month would be a lot more manageable in the long run. Plus, I’d be able to chip away at the piles of books I’ve bought but haven’t read, while sill managing to buy the shiny new books that are ever so tempting. (Wow, that sounds so adult-like… oh my Lordy Lord, I’m getting old!! *Panics*)


Red Rising by Pierce Brown and Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Red Rising by Pierce Brown // Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Red Rising will be an interesting one – I read Red Queen recently, and I saw a lot of comparisons made between the two books. I’m a little scared, and I kinda regret not reading Red Rising sooner. I’ve had Finnikin of the Rock on my to-read list for a long, long time, and FINALLY I got a copy. I’ve seen a lot of love for the trilogy over the years, and hopefully I’ll love it too.

The Queen of the Tearling and My Soul to Save

Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen // My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent

My fantasy addiction seems to be getting stronger every day, and I can’t wait to read Queen of the Tearling. I think I heard it was optioned to become a movie, and Emma Watson was involved? (Correct me if I’m wrong!) Either way, I’m dying to read the book! I recently did a Top Ten Tuesday post sharing some book series I had considered abandoning, and Jessica @ a Great Read convinced me to continue on with the Soul Screamers series. So! Here we are, I’m gonna give it another go :D (And I hope I love it!)


Books For Review

HUGE thank you to Orion, Penguin/Random House and St. Martin’s Griffin for these!


The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian The Violinist of Venice by Alyssa Palombo

The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May // The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian
The Violinist of Venice by Alyssa Palombo


Books I Read This Month

I’ve read 5 books this month, and being honest, I would have liked to have read a few more. But, all 5 books I read, I rated 4 stars or higher, so… I’ll happily put it down as a quality over quantity, rather than my reading pace being stuck in slow motion! If I had to choose a favourite, it would be The Vanishing Throne, with Ink and Bone a very, very close second.


Unspoken by C.C. Hunter Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride Hollow Pike by James Dawson

Unspoken by C.C. Hunter – 4 Stars // Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine – 5 Stars
The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May – 5 Stars
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride – 4.5 Stars
Hollow Pike by James Dawson – 4 - 4.5 Stars



How was your November? And for those in the US, how was your Thanksgiving? I hope you enjoyed it, and ate lots of yummy food! Thanks for stopping by, and have a fab weekend! Happy Reading!





3 comments:

  1. My dad and I are talking about central heating for the house as we have been freezing the last 24 hours! We were on holiday at a lodge by the lakeside and it was so warm and cozy all week and then we come back to the freezing cold and it has been horrible! I'm NOT looking forward to the upheaval or the cost though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh nice!!! I LOVED Rachel's Soul Screamer series!!! And oohh I love C.C. Hunter's Shadow Falls world too!! Still need to read Queen of the Tearling! Hopefully before the movie eventually comes out!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard really good things about the C.C. Hunter series. I still need to read The Queen of Tearling. I hope you love all of your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...