Saturday 30 January 2016

January 2016 Stacking the Shelves and Wrap-Up


January 2016 Stacking the Shelves and Wrap-Up

I’m linking up to both Stacking the Shelves and The Sunday Post memes this weekend.



Re-Cap

Well, so far, 2016 has sucked.

A few weeks ago, I got in the mood to marathon all the Harry Potter movies – one movie each night for eight nights. Sounds kinda perfect, right? I made it to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban… and the next day Alan Rickman died. I haven’t had the heart to continue watch the movies since. I didn’t read the books until I began blogging, but the movies were always there, you know? Honestly, it still hasn’t fully sunk in yet. Not to forget Lemmy and David Bowie, too. What else can you even say…?



What I Read in January

Currently, I’ve read 6 books this month, and I’ve started reading another three. After almost two years of pining to reread this series, I finally gave in and reread The Hunger Games trilogy. I was a tiny bit worried I wouldn’t love it as much this time, but I actually love it even more now. I’ve watched the movies quite a few times apiece, and in a way, what happens in the movies has taken over some of my memories from the books. There were SO MANY things I completely forgot about. Like Peeta having two older brothers. (HOW DID I NOT REMEMBER THIS?!?!) Oh, and Cato’s horrific death. I vaguely remembered it was bad, but just not how bad. Poor Cato. And Finnick... just Finnick! *Sobs* I’m so glad I reread the series, it was exactly what I needed right now. I’ve remembered exactly why The Hunger Games will always be one of my all-time favourite series, and why Katniss and Peeta are two of my all-time favourite characters. I understand Gale a bit more now, but I still don’t like him. Actually, I think I dislike him even more. He was tolerable in The Hunger Games, but in Catching Fire and Mockingjay…

The only downside to my little reread-fest is feeling like I’m teetering on the edge of a reading slump. Or, more accurately, I’m on the edges of an epic rereading binge! I’m eyeing so many of my favourite books and trying to see when I can squeeze in a bit of time to devour them again. Things got a bit drastic this past week… You probably know I’m in the ‘my books shall always be pristine and annotation free’ club, right? Well. You see. I had a moment. On Thursday I wasn’t in the mood to read either of the books I’d started reading, so I picked up one of my TBR-picks from last year, Partials by Dan Wells. There was a pencil sitting right there, looking all tempting and irresistible … and I began annotating and underlining like crazy. It was … strangely liberating. It’s not going to become a thing. When I woke up Friday morning and saw the levels of desecration I did to the poor book the night before, well, I, umm, put it this way, I promise to be gentle in the future.

Read:

 The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black Sanctuary Bay by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Currently Reading:

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey Almost Midnight by C.C. Hunter Partials by Dan Wells



Books I Bought

I did buy eight books this month, but only six have shown up. (Boooo!) I’ll include the other two in my February Wrap-Up post, but isn’t it typical that the two books that haven’t show up are the two I was most looking forward to reading! Why, Post, why must you torture me so??

Journey Through Fiction January 2016 Book Haul

Oh, but I did get both Winter and Six of Crows, so it's not all bad!

Winter by Marissa Meyer // Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Frostbite by Richelle Mead // The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Spellbound by Rachel Hawkins // Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare



For Review

Almost Midnight by C.C. Hunter Dreamfever by Kit Alloway

Thanks so much to St. Martin’s Press for both of these!



TBR Jar Updates

I did make a promise in my resolutions post at the beginning of the year that I’d keep my TBR Jar picks updated each month. So, here we go! Each month I have been choosing a book to read, but I haven’t been keeping up with the reading the book part. These are the picks so far that I haven’t read:

To Be Read Jar Picks Journey Through Fiction

Yeah. Not doing to good, eh? I did begin reading (*cough* A.K.A. scribbling on) Partials, so that’s a start! I don’t really mind when I get around to the other three, I just want to clear them off my TBR shelf, and soon!



What have you been up to this month? What was your favourite read? Thanks for stopping by, have a fab weekend, and Happy Reading!




11 comments:

  1. I so much want to reread The Hunger Games before I watch all the films but with 560 unread books in my possession I can't justify rereads right now! I haven't even read Harry Potter in ages! I was so sad to hear about Alan Rickman's death-it is going to make watching the Deathly Hallows part 2 so much harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also binge-watched the Harry Potter movies this month. I was really sad about Alan Rickman, too. I had planned on rereading The Hunger Games before seeing the final movie, but I have so many unread books that I couldn’t do it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some interesting books this week. I hope you love all your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really horrible that Alan Rickman died. :/ The Immortal Rules is actually one of my favorites, so I hope you get around to reading it.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about watching Harry Potter movies, I was stunned to learn he passed away, I wrote a small tribute to him on my blog just to honor his talent. He will be sorely missed- and am I nuts or was Severus Snape an intriguing character? I loved him!! And I enjoyed reading your post, as I relate to it very well. I hope you have a great weekend and Happy Reading!!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/01/january-wrap-up-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOoh Dreamfever! Nice! I still gotta read the first one to that series! And Almost Midnight is one I am looking forward to as well! Great set of reads you have here! Hope you enjoy them all!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's some amazing books you got this week! Some of these are favs of mine! I hope you enjoy them all. Happy reading :)

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahha poor Partials! I really wish I had the courage to write on books, but I just cannnnnnn'tttttt. It's been ingrained in me to not write in them (except textbooks because bleh). And you got some of my favorites, like Six of Crows! And I still need to read Winter because I am a procrastinator like that! Woop!

    Lovely post as usual Alma <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee! My poor copy of Partials will never be the same again! I don't mind writing in text books, but English class finished me with annotating and highlighting. It broke my heart to ruin the books! At least this time I got it out of my system and I won't be repeating it anytime soon!

      Delete
  9. It's weird getting to that stage where I've been reading blogs so much that I recognise every book in these pictures! At school I loved the Vampire Academy series, hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that feeling of playing catchup. I'm trying to do something similar each month by reading at least one from my super old tbr pile, one from last year's pile as well as one new one. Can't fit in re-reads... maybe next year ;-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...