Tuesday 18 October 2016

I Know You're Fictional, But I'd Name My Children After You



As tempted as I would be to name a child Voldemort just to see if people would run away in fear, I’m going to leave my evil sense of humour out of this list and keep things semi-realistic. I have included eight names on this list, and being honest, the odds of me having EIGHT children is non-existent – I mean, convincing me to have one would be an achievement in itself, never mind eight! But, hey, at least lots of naming choices never hurt anyone, right?!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme run by The Broke and the Bookish.



ClaraThe Unearthly Trilogy by Cynthia Hand – I loved Clara’s character throughout the Unearthly trilogy but I feel I don’t include her in favourites-type lists often enough. So, I shall hypothetically name a child after her! Fair trade, I think?



SylvainThe Night School Series by C.J. Daugherty – Okay, this might depend on whether the father is French. So, hello hypothetical French future father of a child of mine, I hope you like the name Sylvain.



NinaSix of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo – Okay, I was really tempted to choose Kaz… but let’s be honest here, the thoughts of having a spawn of yours start to emulate his namesake – and that namesake just happens to be KAZ BREKKER – well, that slightly terrifies me, so, we’ll go with Nina. Also, I adore her so it’s a very easy decision.



TobiasThe Animorphs Series by K.A. Applegate - Way back in the day when I read the Animorphs series I made the decision if I ever had a son, he’d be named after Tobias. Funnily enough I still like the name, so in honour of 13-year-old-past-me, Tobias makes this list.



KadenThe Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson – Speaking of emulating namesakes... Oh well, I adore the name Kaden way too much so I’ll take the chance!



ChaolThrone of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas – I can’t resist, I have to include Chaol’s name. Well, I’d hope a real version would be treated a little better than the fictional version was… just sayin’.



KelseaThe Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen – I can’t really put my finger on exactly why I love the name Kelsea so much, but if I had a daughter named after Kelsea Glynn and she started emulating her, I’d actually be very proud!



Kami - The Lynburn Legacy Trilogy by Sarah Rees Brennan - To me, Kami is a very underrated YA heroine. I loved her personality and individuality when I read the trilogy last year, and everything I said about Kelsea above I'll echo here.


Just looking back over this list I seem to have a strange affinity for names beginning with C and K. Huh. I have a feeling I'll be a bit paranoid over this for a while! What are some of your favourite character names? Do we share any favourites?


Thanks for stopping by!




4 comments:

  1. If I had children I'd have named a daughter Anya, after the character in Buffy because I love the name. Or maybe Elena after the wolf in Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld books. The names I like for boys are all normal names so I can't think of any interesting ones to mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I binged watched Buffy back in the 90's/'00's! I was completely obsessed with the world and all the characters, and I love the name Anya, too. If I was picking a name just from the Buffyverse, I'd probably choose Willow. :D

      Delete
  2. Oooh very nice!! I still need to read Queen of the Tearling! Hearing awesome things about it! Or I did when it first came out! Whelp! So behind on everything!!! LOL! Great list!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved the name Kaden. I'm glad someone else agrees :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...